This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
You may have seen some raving reviews of a homemade fake snow recipe that is perfect for sensory bins. We too were duped by the white powdery scenes and happy smiles on kids’ faces!
We grabbed our favorite bottle of conditioner and tried the most common fake snow recipe.
It was a flop! Sure, it looked and even felt fantastic. Fake snow is perfect for sensory bins. But the smell of the conditioner permeated every corner of our home. It was sickening.
So with that in mind, let’s talk about how to make snow at home with a secret ingredient that does not gag you from the strong odor of conditioner!
Related post: List of Indoor Activities for Kids
Unscented Fake Snow Recipe
We had a blast playing indoors with snow! And the best part is that this “snow” was not cold!
Fake Snow Recipe Supplies
- 1/4 cup of unscented conditioner (per child)
- 1 1/2 cup of baking soda
- Mixing bowl
- Old vinyl table cloth
- Flat pan or plastic bin (with sides)
- Sealing container for storage (optional)
how to make fake snow with baking soda
1. Measure 1/4 cup of unscented conditioner and 1 1/2 cups of baking soda into a mixing bowl and thoroughly mix the ingredients. Make sure that all baking soda touches the conditioner so that it takes away the extra “poof” of the baking soda.
2. Spread out an old vinyl tablecloth or sheet on a wood, linoleum or tile floor. Avoid using on the carpet if possible.
3. Transfer the fake snow into a flat container or bin to contain most of the mess.
4. Enjoy squishing, squeezing and building with your fake snow! You can build a mini snowman or snow fort and play with it for hours!
5. Cleanup is easy. When the kids are done playing with the fake snow, you can either throw the batch away in the trash or transfer it to a sealed container for another day!
The Best Fake Snow Recipe
We truly believe that this is the best fake snow recipe simply because it uses unscented conditioner. You will end up paying a little more for the conditioner unless you can find an obscure, fragrance free brand at your local Dollar Tree.
No matter what, if you’re playing with fake snow inside your home, just be aware that scented conditioner will permeate everything for an entire day! It’s sickening.
If you cannot purchase unscented conditioner then consider taking this fake snow recipe outdoors.
We can’t wait to see how much fun your kids will have with this! Please share your experiences with this fake snow recipe in the comments!